Palmyra, Missouri, is a quiet little rural town nestled in the hills of Northeast Missouri, only 15 miles from the Mississippi River and the City of Quincy, IL. Palmyra is the county seat of Marion County. It is a friendly little town of 3,467 people, living peacefully on well-lit, serene streets, taking joy in their community.
Palmyra serves as a historic site in Northeast Missouri, containing a rich Civil War history, and takes great pride in its varied architecture and landmark homes and businesses.
Palmyra R-1 School District is one of the best on Northeast Missouri, having received state education awards as well as numerous athletic honors. In addition to the public schools, the Mission Hill Christian Academy of Palmyra offers a private alternative for education for grades K-12.
Organizations in Palmyra include the Jaycees, Masons, Shriners, Kiwanis, Palmyra Arts League, Booster Club and several others. Each of these groups offer a multitude of activities throughout the year. In addition, the Palmyra Chamber of Commerce is highly active in both local and area activities, giving Palmyra’s businesses a chance to lend a hand to their community. The town is also home to a wonderful array of artistic groups, from sculpting and painting classes for the general public to dozens of local organizations devoted to pursuits varied from gardening to china painting.
For recreation, Palmyra offers a multitude of options. There are two public pools, one of which is located in beautiful Flower City Park. Volleyball, basketball and tennis courts, disc gof and horseshoe pits as well as two baseball diamonds and a Little League field also grace the park. The Palmyra High School also maintains a second tennis court and a walking track for public as well as school use. Palmyra’s Jackson Park is a well-maintained nine home golf course, while Pal-Bowl offers bowling to the public. Nearby Hannibal, MO, and Quincy, IL, also provide numerous activities including blowing, golf, and movie theaters.
Outdoor enthusiasts will find local recreations including hunting and fishing in the numerous lakes, rivers and forests as well as swimming, boating, camping and hiking at nearby Mark Twain Lake or any of a variety of state parks.
Important Phone Numbers:
- Emergency Ambulance: 911 or 573.221.5000
- Police: 573.769.5539
- Fire Department: 573.769.3434
- Marion County Sheriff: 573.769.2077
- City Hall: 573.769.2223
- Hannibal Regional Hospital: 573.248.1300
- Nutrition Center: 573.769.3358
- Parks & Recreation Director: 573.769.9534
- Marion County Clerk: 573.769.2549
- Drivers / Vehicle License: 573.769.3264
- Post Office: 573.769.3669
- Library: 573.769.2830
- Palmyra R-I School: 573.769.2066
- Social Security: 573.221.0021
- Liberty Utilities: 855.872.3242
- City Hall – Electric/Trash/Water: 573.769.2223
- CenturyTel Telephone: 800.201.4099
- Missouri Rural Electric Coop: 573.769.2104
- US Cable: 800.996.8788
Places of Worship:
- Assembly of God — 312 S. Bradley
- First Baptist — S. Main & Hamilton
- Cornerstone Church — 112 E. Olive
- First Christian — 202 E. Olive
- First Presbyterian — Church & Dickerson
- Mission Hill Baptist — 4653 Hwy. 61 South
- Park Chapel Baptist — 215 W. Main Cross
- St. Joseph Catholic — 405 S. Lane St.
- St. Paul Episcopal — East Olive
- United Methodist — Olive & Dickerson
- United Penecostal — 1210 S. Home
- Zion Lutheran — Spring & Lafayette